24 GROUP ROYAL AIR FORCE CONTROL TOWER AND HEADQUARTERS COMPLEX
The declaration of War in 1939 and the introduction of radio communications led to the rapid expansion of Zwartkop Air Station. More Air Training Schools were activated throughout South Africa and the introduction of flying training on a very large scale at Zwartkop Air Station left 24 Group,
the Controlling Authority for Zwartkop Air Station through the war, to build a new Headquarters complex the incorporated a much larger and improved Control Tower to handle the increased in air traffic in the Zwartkop aerodrome traffic circuit.
The new Control Tower came into use in 1941 and still remains in use to the present day, being manned by South African Air Force Air Traffic Controllers. The Control Tower was modified further when and additional glass encased structure was added to the top of the original structure in 1964. The modification was to increase overall visibility for Air Traffic Controllers thus enhancing flying safety in the aerodrome traffic circuit.
watermarked-24 Group Control Tower completed in 1941.jpg|Control Tower and 24 Group Headquarters Complex in 1941
watermarked-AdditionTower added in 1960.jpg|Glass Structure added to the structure in 1964
watermarked-Control Tower Complex.jpg|Old Watch Tower on No 7 Hanger alongside the 24 Group Control Tower Complex seen from the air in 2012. (Photograph Courtesy of Garth Calitz)