AEROTEK 30MM EXTERNALLY POWERED CANNON PROTOTYPE
The gun fires 30mm DEFA ammunition. This was selected because it is in service with many air forces internationally.
The gun is powered by a hydraulic motor, using vehicle or aircraft hydraulic supply
The gun can also be modified for electric drive.
Because of the low stress design mass can be reduced by using an aluminium casting to contain the loading and extracting mechanism.
Firing stresses are limited to the barrel, barrel extension and bolt. The receiver of the weapon is thus not stressed. No firing stresses are transferred back from the barrel.
- No stoppage caused by defective round
- Even and high ammunition belt pull
Long operating life (due to low stress design)
Very little gas flow through weapon into turret
Control of rate of fire
Control of burst length
Improved mobility due to low mass
The weapon is suitable for remote mounting (e.g. in wing pods) because of its high reliability.
- Caliber: 30mm DEFA
- Muzzle velocity: 810 m/s
- Mass: 67 kg Length 2,1 m
- Rate of fire: Selectable between 300 and 600 shots per min
- Time to rate: 0,15 sec
- Time to stop: 0,15 sec
- Clearing method: Open bolt
- Effective impulse: 200 Ns
- Power required (hydraulic): 4,8 kw at 600 s.p.m.
- Ammunition link: 30 mm DEFA
- Reliability predicted: 10 000 MRBF
- Status: Prototype