FIESELER Fi-156c-7 STORCH AM-99 c/n 475099

The Fieseler Storch was designed in Germany as a short take-off multi-purpose communications aircraft and the prototype first flew in May 1936.  The majority of Fieseler Storch aircraft were produced by the Morane-Saulnier factory in France and the Mraz factory in occupied Czechoslovakia, both of which continued production after the war.  Many ex-Luftwaffe examples served with various European forces well into the 1950s.

PATCHEN TSC-2 EXPLORER

The Patchen Explorer was conceived by the former Thurston Aircraft Corporation in the USA as a landplane version of its TSC-1 Teal amphibian.  The development of both designs was financed by Marvin Patchen Inc, which retained the rights to the TSC-2 Explorer.  The SAAF Museum now owns the one and only example of the Patchen Explorer in the world.  Construction of the prototype was completed by Aerofab Corporation of Sanford, Maine,

CESSNA 185E SKYWAGON NO. 748

The Cessna 185 Skywagon was selected by the Army to replace the ageing Austers then being used by the Army Air Reconnaissance squadron at the School of Artillery in Potchefstroom in the observation and co-operation role. 45 examples of three variants were delivered between 1962 and 1968 and equipped both 41 (ACF) Army Co-operation Squadron based at Potchefstroom (later Grand Central Aerodrome) and 42 AAR Squadrons, which remained behind at Potchefstroom. In October 1968 the two units transferred to the SAAF, falling under Light Aircraft Command.